The idea for this project came from a post by Akshat on the Maker’s Asylum Facebook group.

Screen Shot 2015-08-06 at 1.10.44 pm

Inspired by the post and with the encouragement of the guys on the group, I took it upon myself to build a miniature version of the cabin.

I began by scrounging for materials at the Asylum. I found 2 small plywood sheets, which were 3mm thick - perfect for what I had in mind.

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/20342216621/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

I then measured and marked the lines needed for cutting.

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/20309903576/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/20336164615/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

Using the jigsaw, I traced the lines I had made earlier to get a precise cut. It’s really helpful to mark your lines before you begin with the jigsaw, it ensures not just ease in cutting, but guarantees a precise cut.

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/19713497394/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

The front and back panels of the cabin were to be of the same dimension, so I cut out two identical shapes out of the plywood. It took a bit of finesse as the shape I intended to cut was curvy and tapering.

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/19713494824/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

The side walls were easier to cut since they were a simple rectangular shape.

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/20148062890/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

The plywood I had available was too thin to be nailed together. Rather I chose to use a quick bond solution to join the pieces together.

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/20342184911/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/20309868636/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

For the door of the cabin, I chose to use strips glued together instead of a solid piece of wood. I began by making lines for the strips.

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/20149487919/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

I then cut out those strips using the jigsaw.

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/20148044440/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

And voila! Our cabin now had a door.

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/20342165251/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

To make the door be able to open, I used a piece of thick paper as a hinge, and attached it to the rest of the structure.

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/20327636832/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

For the roof, I chose to go with strips again, joining them with a quick bond solution.

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/20148081908/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/19713449594/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

And just like that, we had a cool little wooden cabin ready.

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/20309833326/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

A coat of clear varnish ..

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/20149452759/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/20336092795/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/20148058578/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

Cha ching ...

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/20309818156/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/20342126201/in/album-72157656855788141/[/embed]

[embed]https://www.flickr.com/photos/125352978@N05/20150207570/in/dateposted/[/embed]