Personal protective equipment (PPE) refers to protective clothing, helmets, gloves, face shields, goggles, face-masks and/or respirators or other equipment designed to protect the wearer from injury or the spread of infection or illness. These have become even more essential and important for the healthcare workers fighting COVID19 on the frontline. Reported cases in India as on 16th April 2020 are pegged at over 12000, but aggressive testing in coming weeks will put a strain on the healthcare community and the demand for PPE will only increase.
Typical facial protection consists of three separate units (Goggles, N95 Mask and Hoods), all of which are single use and rely heavily on a supply chain which is globally stressed and choked at the moment. Most have inadequate breathability for users which hampers work performance and also increases risk for most frontline workers.
Solution : M-POWR
M-POWR is a low cost powered respirator that allows for a re-useable face mask, which integrates full face protection with a powered air generator. Some advantages of our design :
- Full face shielding during Aerosol Generating Procedures (AGPs), with a silicone seal
- Steady stream of positive pressure filtered air, allowing for less work of inspiration and user comfort
- Separation of the filtration surface from the facial area making it easier for doffing without contamination
- Use of existing parts and raw materials, whose supply chain can be harnessed for easy deployment
- Sustainability in the long term, as all parts can be sterilised and re-deployed